How to Optimize For the Google 3-Pack?
What is the Google 3-Pack?
The Google 3-Pack is the method Google uses to display the top three results for local SERP results. It uses the user’s location to make the search relevant to the location where the user submitted the query. For instance, if a user searched “restaurants near me” the Google 3-Pack would display three restaurants near the user’s current location.
In August of 2015, the Google 7-Pack was cut down to three, creating the 3-Pack. At the time, marketers became concerned about the increased competition for getting into one of those highly valued three spots.
Google 3-Pack also differs from the 7-Pack in ways beyond the number of listings. Rather than focusing on Google+ pages for ranking businesses, it focuses on links to the brand’s business websites. The way information was displayed also changed. It makes it easier for mobile users to navigate the 3-Pack by showing addresses and business hours, rather than phone numbers.
How do I rank locally on Google?
You cannot optimize specifically for the Google 3-Pack because businesses that appear on the Google 3-Pack are location dependent. In other words, the local SEO results change depending upon where the person conducting the search is located.
However, you can optimize your web presence in a way that will increase your chances of appearing in the 3-Pack when it comes up for a query that is applicable to you.
How to optimize for the Google 3-Pack?
- Make sure your Google+ Local page is completely filled in and up-to-date.
- Cultivate reviews on your Google+ account. Receiving multiple positive reviews can be beneficial when it comes to boosting your visibility, especially since Google reviews and stars will be plainly visible on the 3-Pack.
- Make sure your listings throughout the web are accurate and consistent. This includes business name, address, and phone number.
- Cultivate locally relevant links to boost your visibility. There are a number of ways you can cultivate reputable links, such as sponsoring local nonprofits and events or joining a Chamber of Commerce.
- Build standard backlinks to raise your organic rank. Backlinks are best cultivated through outstanding, well-distributed content that attracts readers.
- Build a strong presence on social media and other platforms to establish yourself as a Google local listing with loyal followers.
Appearing in the Google 3-Pack attracts attention to your brand and encourages people to engage with you. Keep these guidelines in mind when you create your web presence to maximize your chances of appearing on these lists.